How does our technology accelerate the electrification of everything?
Just like they don’t develop their own operating systems, these major industry players don’t want to reinvent the wheel with in-house development. They believe in standardisation and true partnership to achieve software excellence at scale.
“This is why today we’re delighted to announce that Lowercarbon Capital is leading our $10M Series A round, with participation from our seed stage investor, Speedinvest.
We chose to partner with Chris Sacca, Clea Kolster, Clay Dumas and the rest of the Lowercarbon Capital team because we love their conviction for doing what it takes to make this world better, no matter the technology depth or the height of the mountain. We believe it gives our customers, and the planet, the best possible chance.”
Dr Ian Campbell, CEO and Co-founder @ Breathe
L: Breathe CEO and Co-founder, Dr Ian Campbell.
R: Ian with his Co-founders, Professor Greg Offer and Dr Yan Zhao.
Traditional battery control focuses solely on the 'design point' in the battery's life, resulting in untapped potential and premature decline.
(Source: Breathe Battery Technologies)
- It chokes the operating envelope of the battery system, limiting performance, and heavily underutilises the cell materials you’ve paid for.
- It requires engineers to constantly trade between the attributes that end-users care about; charge speed, cycle life, energy density, cost, and safety in a zero-sum environment.
- It ignores the ageing of the battery system.
Comparison of battery attributes between Breathe PHI X2. traditional solutions and academia. Circle size represents relative value where large = high and small = low.
(Source: Breathe Battery Technologies)
- Easy calibration: enables rapid adaption to customers' newest battery chemistry nodes, helping us facilitate tight product launch targets and long-duration maintenance contracts.
- Compatible with computationally low-power microcontrollers: enables backward compatibility with existing devices or vehicles already on the market, and for upcoming product launches, straightforward integration with no hardware changes.
- Low development time: the end goal is the simplest model that makes batteries and consumers happier. Over-engineering models beyond what’s absolutely necessary delays their impact and compounds the problem of lagging battery progress. Our industry is guilty of this, and traditionally there’s been a gulf between battery modelling and product.
- Lifetime robustness: solve the single design point problem to exploit all of the potential in the battery materials at every point in their life, while simultaneously treating the battery gently as it ages. Health adaptive control is just smart.
- Minimum number of internal state estimates: infer only what matters and nothing more – our “size zero” model concept – to focus on resilience, avoid overfitting, and spend our energy on providing product managers with special system-level performance.
L: A live demo of Breathe Charge (shown here against an identical system without Breathe Charge).
R: Textbooks written by a member of the Breathe Scientific Advisory Board, Professor Gregory Plett.
We feel it most when our customers arrive in our battery lab, the largest facility of its kind in London, producing over 4,800 hours of validation data daily, and see their battery charge time fall, or their cycle life increase. The performance gains empower them to design more competitive products. Data says something incomparably convincing.
Emily Atkinson, Head of Marketing
Tel: +44 (0)2045 295647
Breathe is more than a battery performance company. We help you do more with the power you have. Because we believe an electrified future requires superior customer experiences.
Our physics-based battery management software helps the worlds most iconic electric vehicle and consumer electronics brands deliver products with faster charging, greater cycle life and zero compromise on safety.
We dream that one day everyone will breathe clean air. That's why we make batteries better.